Friday, April 16, 2010

Saturday Sketch Challenge 147 ~ Farm Life

Hey Everybody! I'm very excited to bring you another awesome sketch from the operators at stamping 411.

In March, we took a long road trip to northern New Hampshire, and I was flipping through a Stampin' Up catalog... when I realized there was a stamp set that I missed! I had NEVER seen this set, Farm Life, located at the bottom of page 93, used by anyone, nor do I remember seeing it in the book.. Isn't that strange? So ~ I ordered it! :) When I looked at today's sketch I thought that this set would fit the sketch perfectly, although I had something completely different in mind when I created the sketch. I'm so pleased with the outcome of this...

I stamped the image in my timber brown stazon ink, and started adding colors with markers and a waterbrush from there. I colored on a ziplock bag, and picked up the color adding colors to make the ground and the sky.. I think I used about 8 colors from the earth elements color family. After adding diluted color, I drew in some darker lines and diluted that with the waterbrush... When I got to a certain point, I stopped.. Good design is sometimes knowing when to stop. :)

The background is the medallion stamp set, and I used versamark ink on Ruby Red cardstock to make a slightly darker impression/water mark.

Measurements:
Base: 11 x 4 1/4" scored and folded in half at 5 1/2"
Layer 2: 4 x 3 1/2"
Layer 3: 3 3/4" x 3 1/4"
Layer 4: 3 3/4" x 1 1/2"

The ribbons... I got the idea from Karen who played along with the operators last week and I loved what she did with her grosgrain ribbon.

I'll be away this weekend, but I cant wait to see what you all come up with when I return!
Have a Great Weekend!
Selene Kempton

11 comments:

Jeanette said...

Awesome scene. I really like the field in the foreground.

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

Selene, You have out done yourself this week on this challenge. This is drop dead Gorgeous. I feel like I'm right there at the edge of the grass. Beautiful!

Kerin said...

WOW this is awesome!!! I love your coloring! Isn't it funny that we can see new things every time we flip through that catalog!?!? I'm so glad you found this set!!!

Robbie said...

Selene ~ Love your card. I really like the bottom layer effect so it looks like wheat! TFS

Robbie

Patti Chesky said...

Wow! oooohhhhh.....Wow! This is so beautiful. I love the un-cut hay element. It draws you right into the focal image.

Incredible job....as always!

Corie said...

WOW -- this is jaw-dropping gorgeous

Unknown said...

This is awesome Selene!!! I have not seen anything done with this stamp set and you have knocked it out of the ballpark!! Love how you did the "wheat" too!! And the double ribbon is a great touch!!

Mary Davidson said...

Wow, Selene! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Joanne Leddy said...

Very pretty. Wonderful image and love the added soft colors!

Unknown said...

so pretty(as usual!!!=)) the hay field is a great idea-love it!

gbarron56 said...

Selene -- I think I e-mailed you earlier about this card but it's worthy of saying it again. This card is a masterpiece -- truly gorgeous! It should be framed -- really! Thanks for inspiring me! Blessings, Gretchen