Friday, May 6, 2011

Saturday Sketch Challenge 202 ~ Target your audience

Back in my single days, I was a disk jockey (and karaoke host). One of the things that makes a GREAT dj, is reading and providing for the audience. In a way, a good DJ gives the audience what it wants, before they have to . In some respects, making "just the right card" for a very special someone, can require the same skill! When I looked at tonight's sketch... askand knew who my creation was going to be for, I made some drastic changes of the feel of the sketch, based on my audience.

My Godson John, is making his first holy communion tomorrow morning and I didn't want to make him a card that was too girly, or had too much foo foo, but masculine cards CAN BE PRETTY and still masculine! :D So here we go! I have to say... I struggled BIG TIME... not to put a big gorgeous bow, or a button.... and bling... I pulled it back so that I have the right card for the right occasion! :D
I started with the cross. I embossed it with silver embossing powder on bashful blue cardstock and cut it out... I tried laying it on top of another bashful blue layer, and it got lost. So I changed to white. :D

I cut my white cardstock (layer 3) to 3 5/8" x 4 5/8" and ran it through the big shot to emboss it.

Next I stamped the sentiment "God bless you".. So pretty! Then I REALLY ran into trouble. I wanted to put a big girly bow, or make a faux bow behind that silver embellishment, but really you have to play for your audience. So, although I decided to keep and embellishment there, I used restraint and kept it extremely simple!

Layer 2 was cut to 3 3/4" x 5 1/8" then I used the eyelet border punch to add a little decoration.. OKAY perhaps that part IS a bit girly. :D Finally I peeled the cross off the front of my card, and added the brad.. it just NEEDED to be there! I hope you enjoyed sharing a bit into my creative process, and the next time you make a card... REALLY THINK about the person you are giving it to. What will THEY like?

Please join me and my friends over on Stamping 411 for an awesome challenge and you can make a card and share too!

Rubbah hugs and please have a wonderful weekend!

Selene~

9 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!! This card is awesome and perfect for a boy!! Great job and I can't wait to see you in 2 short weeks!!

Jen Timko said...

This is perfect for First Communion!! I, too, struggled making a card for my son's invitations (his is today also). You really did a great job!

Erna Logtenberg said...

Hi Selene, this is a beautiful card!! It's a great card for a boy, you rock girl!

Margaret said...

beautiful and perfect for the occasion!

Julie Gearinger said...

What a wonderful card for your Godson! Love the embossing and the elegance- TFS!

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

Simply beautiful Selene

Kerin said...

It's not often that a card can be described as both gorgeous and masculine, but you have nailed this one on the head!! WOW!!

Connie Babbert said...

Very striking and meaningful card, Selene! Lovely!

Connie Babbert said...

I loved this card for First Communion. very lovely!