Monday, February 18, 2013

2/18 Stampin' Up! By the Tide and Sassy Salutations with the polished stone technique

Good Morning Friends! 

Yesterday, I spent the day at the bowling ally with my stud muffin to watch him in a bowling tournament and spend some time with friends.  It was a really fun and silly laughing kind of day.  On the way home I was playing on pinterest and found some artwork that I thought would make a cool card.  The photo here is what I found. 
Kind of cool, and dark, like a sunset or I'm not sure what, but I like it!  Today, I'm hosting a chat and challenge over on the demonstrator group SUDSOL, and decided to to a challenge around my inspiration piece. 










Not too shabby!  I think you could use the sketch for all sorts of cards.  Color blocking where you put maybe a cupcake on the right, happy birthday across the top and a balloon on the slim panel on the left?

Fun times.  :) 

So I got up before everyone in the house this morning to make my card for the challenge.  Here we go:


What do you think??
I think it's kind of funky, artsy.  :)  so I'd like to talk about the process.  In person this card is so shiny and there's gold towards the top (which I saw in the art piece at the top).

I started with a piece of glossy white paper, cut to 3 7/8" x 5".  Then I started with the polished stone technique.  To do this technique, you need some reinkers, rubbing alcohol and cotton balls.

For best results you'll want to buy the 91% alcohol.  Really soak few cotton balls with the alcohol and put a few drops of the reinkers on top.  I started with baja breeze, certainly celery and gold.  I also heat set the ink with setting 1 on my stampin up heat gun. 




After adding those three colors to my glossy cardstock, this is what my paper looked like.  

 Then, I added some night of navy and baja along the bottom to lookk more like the sample. 
 At this point, I went back to the celery and baja and filled it in.  I kept blending until I got my cardstock to the desired effect. 
Then, I grabbed my stamp sets, By the Tide and Sassy Salutations and started Stamping.  I cut my cardstock, and on the bottom panel I chopped 1/8" out of the middle to make it easy to matte on my 4 x 5 1/4" Black Card Stock.

So here's the inspiration piece, and my card again.  I hope it leaves you feeling inspired to stamp something for fun today! 
Thanks so much for stopping by today!!
Much Love,
Selene

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I love this technique. It really gives your card an artistic edge. I'm definitely going to try this.

Merrylioness said...

Yep, Beautiful. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a great card. Definitely looks 'under the sea!'

Anonymous said...

Surprisingly, I really like yours better than your inspiration pic! I love using alcohol inks & I'm going to try your idea. I said surprisingly because I usually like the original piece better, but you did a great job. It's outstanding!

Sandi said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I have never done this technique, but have always wanted to give it a try -- now I MUST!!

Amy Ettelson said...

Selene, this card reminds me of being under the deep sea - it is very quiet, calming and beautiful.

I wasn't sure if I could do anything with this stamp set, but boy did you change my mind!

Joanne said...

This card is so beautiful and I just got this stamp set! The first time I try this, I'll need you by my side. You're amazing!

Mary Campbell said...

Beautiful art piece. I am talking about your card. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Carol Carriveau said...

Great card...and yes, a bit funky but fun and great colors!

Elizabeth Terry said...

That's very cool..when you satamped your images, did you stamp in stazon or just your regular die ink?